Faced with this offer, I was left pondering. Why was I 'courted' or chosen? Aren't there other workers who are more outstanding than me? Is the institution so desperate that they want to poach me? They calmly explained that their institution had received many job applications. The applicants had qualifications and performance levels far above mine. Some of them were even senior. If that's the case, what makes me special? I suspected that they wanted to poach me simply because of our friendship or perhaps dazzled by my academic credentials. Whatever the reason, the offer from my friend left me in a dilemma - should I continue to serve in an institution with such poor management? If I were to change jobs, what would happen to the young generation that I am currently mentoring in terms of character development.
This message is addressed to organizational management, urging them to 'protect' their human resources from being 'poached' or taken by other organizations. This is important because, as Sam Walton, the founder of The Wal-Mart, who was the richest person in the world when he passed away, believed, "people are the key". Human resources are the key to organizational advancement, not just a 'screw' in a machine (organization). In other words, organizations should strive to keep turnover or employee movement low. High turnover rates indicate an unhealthy organization.
From the perspective of employees who are being targeted for 'poaching', it is not easy to switch jobs. Employees may be conflicted, weighing the rewards they will receive at a new organization against the sacrifices of leaving the current one. This decision also involves considerations of rewards and sacrifices.
In facing this dilemma, try to distance yourself so that you do not feel like a member of the prestigious organization where your friend served, and also leave the organization where you currently serve. I believe that it will be easier to assess the situation by taking a psychological perspective, such as introspection or finding internal motivation. In other words, my decision to stay or leave my current organization is truly based on personal reasons, not out of concern for the young generation being mentored, nor because my family needs more money, not due to mismanagement of the organization, and not because my colleagues desperately need me.
The core teaching is to question what I seek to gain from working, for any organization. Is it truly money, honor, achievement, friendship, position, popularity, or simply a respected status in society that I seek from an institution? I have pondered for a long time, to answer a question that is actually simple but difficult to answer.
If money is what I pursue, it is clear that the institution where I serve cannot (yet) provide a decent salary. I think even the institution that might poach me may not necessarily offer a high financial reward, given the unfavorable economic situation. If I truly desire a hefty financial reward, then I should switch fields and become an entrepreneur (such as an educational entrepreneur). The thought of changing fields was eventually dismissed as I felt no interest in the business field. The business field hits my weakness head-on, which is easily stressed, especially when pursued by debt collectors for unpaid bank debts.
If honor and prestige are what I chase, then I believe that it is not suitable for me. This is because I feel unsatisfied with honor and prestige. Neither are essential needs for me. Moreover, I have proven that I am not hesitant to work at the lowest level, such as a garbage collector, or a campus janitor. Even up to now, I work voluntarily for a group.
Is it true that the young generation I am mentoring in character formation is a factor that hinders me from changing institutions? Not really. This is because wherever I am, I can still mentor the young generation. Also, isn't it possible for the young generation I am currently mentoring to visit me at a new institution? So I don't have to part ways with these young people if I switch jobs to another institution.
I have pondered for a very long time on the topic of changing jobs. Finally, I found the answer to why I feel I must remain at the old institution. The answer is that I must first be free from the social debts I have received from the old institution. Becoming successful as I am now is not solely my contribution, but the old institution also plays a role. I cannot deny the contribution of this institution that has helped raise me. Therefore, I have decided to stay at the old institution, no matter what happens.







0 comments:
Posting Komentar